Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Raising a Prodigy

I am once more caught in the conflict between Good Mummy and Bad Mummy. Am I a Good Mummy allowing my 8 year old to take extra karate, extra extra karate, guitar, cricket and so on, or am I a Bad Mummy?

The child is exhausted and so am I. But if I pull him out of say, extra extra karate, am I hindering him in his life chances? He could be the next Carlos Santana and by not enforcing the 30 minutes guitar practice a day, I could stunt the growth of a budding virtuoso.

On the other hand, when does he get to be a kid, climb a tree, play a video game? Surely he needs sleep? Poor kid practices karate in his sleep, mumbling, “Am practicing for JKA” before karate chopping me in the eye.

I don’t need him to be a boy genius, or a sport star, or the next Mozart. I just want him to be a happy, normal little boy with scraped knees, dirty fingers and a naughty smile. If that makes me a Bad Mommy, I am guilty as charged.

No comments:

Post a Comment